The spot price of bitcoin smashed through the leading crypto asset’s all-time high (ATH) surpassing $66,000 per unit after the first bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF) was launched in the United States. The last time bitcoin touched an ATH six months ago on April 14, 2021, the price tapped $64,804 per unit.
Bitcoin Records New All-Time Price High
- The fiat value of bitcoin (BTC), measured in U.S. dollars, has reached an all-time high. The price has touched $66,299 per unit on Bitstamp, surpassing the digital asset’s ATH captured six months ago. At press time, there’s $39.6 billion in trade volume dedicated to bitcoin (BTC) trading.
- Bitcoin’s market cap is $1.223 trillion and it is the sixth most valuable asset on the planet today.
- Bitcoin’s ATH follows the launch of the Proshares Bitcoin Strategy ETF (BITO) that was listed on October 19, 2021. The bitcoin exchange-traded fund is the first ETF ever to be approved in the United States and it’s based on bitcoin futures markets.
- Bitcoin’s greatest pair today is tether (USDT) commanding 59.97% of all BTC trades. This is followed by USD (14.99%), BUSD (4.61%), JPY (3.33%), EUR (3.20%), KRW (2.27%), and AUD (2.16%).
- The top exchanges today include Coinbase, FTX, Bitfinex, Bitstamp, and Kraken, respectively. Coinbase commands 20.25% of the BTC volume today and FTX captures 14.68%.
- Year-to-date, bitcoin (BTC) is up 456% in value and during the last 30 days, BTC has risen 37.8%.
- At current prices, bitcoin dominance is currently at 45.4% and ethereum (ETH) dominance is about 17.3%.
- Only 12 cryptocurrencies have outperformed BTC’s seven-day gains. Crypto assets like OKB, MATIC, and ZEC have seen gains above 19% this past week.
- Bitcoin’s hashrate has been hovering around 140 exahash per second and the network’s next mining difficulty change is 12 days away.
What do you think about bitcoin smashing a new all-time high on Wednesday? Let us know what you think about this subject in the comments section below.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons, Bitcoinwisdom.io
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
This article shown on news.bitcoin.com Source link Author Jamie Redman on date 2021-10-20 14:13:13